Minneapolis International Family Law Attorney
International family law is a branch of law that deals with family-related matters and domestic relations that cross international boundaries. It includes issues such as international divorce, international child custody, and international child abduction. These are complex issues that call for an attorney who is experienced with the international laws, regulations, and procedures that surround family issues and disputes.
If you are involved in an international family law matter, you can turn to Attorney Brian Sobol at Sobol Family Law for competent and compassionate legal help. Brian is experienced in resolving these intricate and sensitive issues. He brings decades of family law practice and an abundance of knowledge and skills to clients who may have married abroad and are now seeking a divorce, those seeking or contesting international relocation with shared children, or those involved in a child custody dispute that crosses international borders.
Brian understands the challenges you may be facing and is here to help you find the right answers to these difficult problems, especially those related to your children.
International divorce involves the dissolution of marriage where one or both parties are from different countries or living in a country other than their original domicile. The complexity arises due to differences in divorce laws between countries.
These complexities can involve:
- Jurisdiction: Determining which country's courts have jurisdiction over the divorce can be a significant challenge. For instance, a couple may have married in one country, lived in another, and hold citizenship in a third. Each country might have its own rules about jurisdiction, making it difficult to decide where to file for divorce.
- Divorce Laws: Different countries have different divorce laws. For example, some countries might not recognize no-fault divorces, while others might have specific rules about property division or alimony. This can lead to confusion and disputes.
- Property Division: Owning assets in multiple countries can lead to complications when dividing them. Different laws may apply that must be understood and followed. In some cases, one party might try to hide assets in a foreign country to avoid sharing them.
- Child Custody: International child custody disputes can be highly complex. Parents might disagree on which country their children should live in while these countries may have different laws about child custody and visitation rights. Additionally, a parent may flee the U.S. to another country with a shared child leading to unlawful retainment of the child; this forces the other parent to seek international legal action to restore his/her parental rights.
- Enforcement: Enforcing a divorce decree from one country into another can be challenging. Some countries may not recognize foreign divorce decrees, making it difficult to enforce terms related to property division or child custody.
For example, consider an American and an Australian who married in Australia but moved to the U.S. for work. If they decide to divorce, they must determine which country's courts will hear their case.
If they choose to divorce in the U.S., they may face challenges enforcing the divorce decree in Australia, especially if they have shared assets there. Additionally, if they have children, deciding custody and visitation rights can become a contentious issue should each parent potentially want to raise the children in their home country.
Brian was tenacious in helping me protect my children and was able to uncover our finances to allow us to ultimately reach a fair division of our property and a fair award of support for me and my children.- Megan C.
His work is nothing but extraordinary. What he did for my friend was impossible to even think could be done. Brian did what he would do for his own family.- Yelena B.
His knowledge in a variety of legal aspects is unparalleled. We feel fortunate to have his representation.- Jeff
He made the process of the ordeal as good as it could have been, including the outcome. I would recommend Brian to anyone, who wants an exceptional professional and advocate to represent them in a legal matter.- Former Client
After Brian negotiated my divorce settlement, my ex-husband, surprisingly, delivered the highest compliment, stating "Brian was brilliant."- Barbara
During the past three years Brian helped me through a bitterly contested family law matter.- David
Brian Sobol is methodical in his approach. It takes a long time to move through the family court process but I can sit back now and relax. A highly skilled professional will argue the law and fight for me to see my kids.- Julie M.
I know I won't have need of for Mr. Sobol again. If I did though...Brian Sobol would be the person I would have defend me!- Tammy G.
Brian is experienced in resolving intricate matters involving international family law. He can provide invaluable assistance throughout the process by helping you navigate the complexities of various jurisdictions, laws, and procedures.
If you need legal help with an international issue or dispute, contact Sobol Family Law to discuss your case one-on-one with Brian as soon as possible.
Call (866) 484-4079 today.