Brian L. Sobol
Attorney & Mediator
Brian L. Sobol is Board Certified in Family Law by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, one of only 15 lawyers so certified in Minnesota. He is also one of only four lawyers in Minnesota recognized for his expertise in high-net-worth cases with a ranking in band 1, the top tier ranking by Chambers and Partners Family/Matrimonial: High Net Worth publication. Brian is the only lawyer so ranked in Minnesota who is also a diplomate in the American College of Family Trial Lawyers, a by-invitation only group of 100 of the top family trial lawyers in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, an equally select group of the top family lawyers in the nation. He has been ranked as a Super Lawyer in Family Law by Minnesota Monthly and Mpls./St. Paul Magazines for over 25 years.
Brian graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1979, Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa, with a bachelor’s degree in child psychology, and received his Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Minnesota in 1982. Following a judicial clerkship in Hennepin County District Court, he began his legal career in 1985, where he quickly established himself as an innovator in large asset marriage dissolution proceedings. His undergraduate degree in child psychology also complemented his growing child custody practice.
While specializing in matters involving complex high net worth estates including established as well as start-up venture capital businesses, these skills also come into play with smaller asset estates, where he is just as adept. He also has substantial experience litigating custody and post-divorce parenting disputes, spousal maintenance and child support matters, domestic abuse matters, and has substantial experience drafting and litigating pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements. Brian is also a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers, and has experience in international business and custody matters. Brian is also experienced in appellate practice and has participated in some 100 appellate family law appeals during his career, and has made law in several areas as a result of his successful appeals, including the areas of property valuation, spousal maintenance and domestic abuse.
The results he has achieved are based on his attention to detail, in-depth preparation and innovative ideas. Although a zealous advocate, Brian is pragmatic in his approach, and is sensitive to the high cost of the litigation. He tries whenever possible to settle issues and cases without the need for trial. Brian has participated in hundreds of successful mediations over his career, and is also a trained mediator himself, one of only two certified in the State of Minnesota by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. If your case is one of the few not capable of resolution short of trial, he will zealously fight for your rights through trial.
Brian recognizes how emotional divorce and other family law related matters can be. He strives to try to empathize with you and guide you forward to the best future possible for you and your family, with skill, compassion, and empathy.
Outside of the office, Brian is a gourmet chef, loves music and loves to travel. He enjoys raising his two young children, which also makes him more attuned to the many issues he faces in his professional life.
- State of Minnesota, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1987
- U.S. District Court, 1984
Certifications and Affiliations
- National Board of Trial Advocacy – Family Trial Law, 2015-Present
- American College of Family Trial – Diplomate, 2014-Present
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers – Fellow, 1996-Present
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, National Board of Governors 2012 -2018
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Minnesota Chapter Board of Managers 2006 – 2018
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Minnesota Chapter Administrative V.P. 2010-2011
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Minnesota Chapter Treasurer 2008-2010
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, AAML Foundation Board Member
- International Academy of Family Lawyers – Fellow, 2012-Present
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Member, Minnesota Chapter 2007 -Present
- American Bar Association, member 1982-Present
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section member, 1982-Present
- Minnesota State Bar Association – member, 1982-Present
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Family Law Section, member, 1982-Present
- Hennepin County Bar Association – member, 1982-Present
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Family Law Section – co-chair 2002-03
- Minnesota Association for Justice, member, 1982 -2018
- Law and Leading Attorneys 1994 -1996
- Super Lawyers, 1994, 1996-1997, 2002-2009, 2011-2022
- Martindale Hubble AV Rating (the highest possible rating in both ethical standards and legal ability)
- Board of Directors, Cornerstone Advocacy Services 2001 through 2010 – providing services and support to victims of domestic abuse in the Southwest suburbs.
- Board Member, Citizens United for Baseball in Minnesota 1997 to 1998 – non-profit lobbied for new Twins Ballpark
- Former Board Member, Garden of Courage – formed to establish a monumental garden commemorating victims and survivors of Breast Cancer
- Summa Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Minnesota 1979
- Dean’s List
- University of Minnesota Law School 1982
Juris Doctor University of Minnesota Law School - Graduate School1982
Bachelor of Arts - Child Psychology University of Minnesota - Undergraduate School1979